Monday, June 14, 2004

Hmmmm....
Did anyone catch Powell's comment on the terrorism report?

"It's a numbers error. It's not a political judgment that said, `Let's see if we can cook the books.' We can't get away with that NOW. Nobody was out to cook the books. Errors crept in," he told ABC's "This Week."

Is he saying that before they could get away with cooking the books? Which of course is true, but to say it, isn't he acknowledging that they previously did so? Am I stretching? Because to me, when I say something and I use the word 'now' it generally means something has changed and I need to signify that change with a time reference. "I used to do this, but NOW I do that." Or, for example, "I used to be able to drink tequila, but now it makes me sick." Doesn't that imply that I didn't use to get sick off tequila? I don't know... just throwing it out there.