Monday, August 30, 2004

Worse than I thought
Wow, I thought I'd be able to do it, I really did. I mean, I've sat through the press conferences, speeches, and horrible interviews with George W (some of them multiple times with tivo). I thought I'd slowly built up an immunity to the bullshit and be able to stomach the GOP convention. I lasted 3 minutes tops. I missed McCain, but according to other bloggers, I didn't miss much. I turned it on when I returned from finding out that I do indeed own the cutest kitty of all time and started up in the middle of a 9/11 tribute. Don't get me wrong, I believe in paying tribute to the heroes of 9/11. What they did tonight in the 3 minutes I was watching was disgusting and an insult to their memories by tying their heroism to Bush's policies. The Bushies ignored all warnings to 9/11 and then paid little heed to the actual threat (Afghanistan) and moved on to fucking over Iraq. The worst part of it all, was that the tribute was being done by the families of people who died in in 9/11. I'm used to Bush and gang's horrible distortion of facts, but to have people who should genuinely be pissed and feel utterly betrayed spewing talking points was more than I could handle. I have great respect for those of you who can stomach it. I lasted up until the last woman, whose brother died in 9/11 and whose son was in Iraq. Of all people, she should be outraged, instead she tried to connect 9/11 to Iraq, and then some guy broke into Amazing Grace. They remind me of this horrible church I went to once as a teenager because everyone else was going. All they did was try to play on our emotions and fears. I thought it was dirty back then and it's even dirtier now. The Bushies, instead of doing it themselves (although they have and no doubt will), have enlisted people who have already been victims, and now they will be victims again, they just haven't realized it yet.